THINK Big 2-Minute Blog: Quick Tips to Manage Employees Remotely
When it comes to managing employees remotely, out of sight is not out of mind. Here are some tips to keep things going smoothly in our virtual offices:
- Set clear expectations with measurable daily and/or weekly goals for your employees. Keep everyone accountable with five-minute Zoom huddles.
- Leave Zoom (or whatever collaboration service you’re using) open so anyone can hop on and ask a question — and get a quick answer.
- Follow up often with your team, but don’t micromanage. Rather than demand, “What did you do all day?” say, “Is there anything you need from me?” Remind your workers that you are there for them — albeit not physically.
- Stay connected. Your employees may start getting restless and bored in isolation. It’s only natural to miss the watercooler moments. Keep them engaged and connected with company updates, ongoing training and brainstorming sessions.
- Practice empathy. There’s a reason you’re a leader. Project calm, and keep in mind that some people find the pandemic a lot more stressful than others.
- Be flexible. Let your people know that it’s okay to set their own schedules (as long, of course, as the work is getting done). Members of your team, especially those with children whose school is being held remotely, will appreciate this more than you can imagine.
Think big — and keep your virtual door open to all possibilities!